At Heighington Millfield Primary Academy, we actively uphold and promote Fundamental British Values, teaching our children about:
- The Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual Respect
- Respect and Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs
How we demonstrate Democracy:
- We have a very active School Council which meets regularly throughout the year. Our councillors are elected by their classes in a secret ballot. They listen to the views of their class, present assemblies, organise fundraising activities and make decisions on behalf of the children.
- Every week, we have a celebration assembly. The children nominate and vote for their class achiever.
- Children's views about their learning and school are valued. Children are encouraged to participate in regular monitoring activities with staff members and governors. This is always fed back to all members of the school team.
How we demonstrate The Rule of Law:
- We make our Academy a safe and happy place to learn by being respectful and responsible. We always follow our Academy Expectations and the behaviour policy.
- At playtimes, we are encouraged to follow the rules by our own playground pals!
- Our assemblies reinforce the expectations and values that are central to Heighington Millfield Primary Academy. We use opportunities to talk about both the positive and negative consequences of our actions.
How we demonstrate Individual Liberty:
- We are encouraged to make the right choices in our learning and challenge ourselves, making our own decisions about the level of challenge and the way in which we present our learning.
- We celebrate challenge during our regular 'Inspire' weeks, such as 'Challenge Week' and 'Lincolnshire Week'.
- Out of school visits offer further opportunities for us to exercise our individual liberty, particularly during residential experiences, where we are offered a range of choices to challenge ourselves.
- We also make choices about which clubs and activities we like to take part in.
How we demonstrate Mutual Respect:
- Respect is one of the seven key values on our Wheel of Learning. We encourage respect for ourselves, each other, and our belongings and property, through the curriculum, PSHE lessons and assemblies.
- We learn about, and always show respect for, people who live their lives in different ways to us.
- We also respect all members of our local community, and often share our learning and special events with our local pre-school and residential care home.
- At Heighington Millfield Primary Academy, we pride ourselves on the respect that we give to each other through our general conduct in and around our Academy.
How we demonstrate Respect and Tolerance of Different Faiths and Beliefs:
- At Heighington Millfield Primary Academy, we love learning about the different faiths, especially in our RE and PSHE lessons.
- Our assemblies provide an opportunity for us to develop an understanding and tolerance of differences, prejudice and stereotypes, and how this can contribute to bullying.
- Visits and visitors are key part of learning about people of different faiths and beliefs.
- We are twinned with Sanchaba Sulay Jobe Lower Basic School in Gambia and love sharing our learning with them.